Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Love Theology 101

In the summer, I lead our Theology 101 group. What a blast! For whatever its worth, we are using the books Who Needs Theology? by Stanley Grenz and Roger Olson and Across the Spectrum by Greg Boyd and Paul Eddy. Last night I asked the question, "Is this class primarily answering your questions or raising new questions?" For most people, it was a mixed bag. For every question that has been answered, more questions have sprung up. I love the fact that we will never come to the end of God. We will never know everything there is to know, which means we can never worship as much as he deserves to be worshiped. I think the primary job of a good leader is to lead people to asking the right questions; not dispensing the right answers.

It was fun last night to examine some of the growth and seemingly backwards growth we experience in our lives. For instance, the more I learn about God, the more I realize there is to learn. And the more I grow in Christ-likeness, the more sinful I realize I am. Maybe we sin less, but we become more aware of our sinfulness. Wow.

God is great. Our faith is full of mystery and miracle. And that should lead us to worship.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

My friend and I were discussing this recently. I have fewer big major sins, yes, but sadly I'm not sinning less. I'm just getting an ever clearer look at the depths of my own depravity. It's like as we pull the big planks out of our eyes, we see the smaller splinters more clearly. So, ironically, as my outward life improves and people begin to use me as a role model, I grow more and more aware of my sinfulness. I guess it works thus way so we'll have a shot at experiencing true humility.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home