Thursday, July 17, 2008

It Changed My Life

As I mentioned previously, my brother-in-law and best buddy Josh were in town last week. That's why I've been absent. Okay, and laziness. One of Josh's life goals is to play the trumpet in a Broadway orchestra. And if that doesn't work out, he'll settle for being a leading man in a musical comedy. I love the kid!

When we picked him up at the Baltimore airport two weeks ago, we took him to eat at Chick-fil-a. It was his first ever experience at this Mecca of fast food goodness. I was so excited! As we stepped into the line, I told him, "Josh, this is going to change your life." That phrase became the mantra for the entire trip. Toby's Dinner Theater? It will change your life. Inverted roller coaster? It will change your life. Bubba Gump Shrimp Company? It will change your life. Seeing Wicked live on Broadway? It will change your life. Josh even told the checkout clerk at Cracker Barrel: "Moonpies have changed my life."

I'm hoping there really were some genuine, life-changing moments for Josh while he was here. We wanted to create some memories for him and hopefully be a good influence. The good influence is always the hard part for Ryan and me.

But now I'm thinking-- what has changed my life? Here are just a few...in no particular order...
  • Dad asking me if I wanted to sign up for t-ball.
  • Mom taking me to see Little Women at the Playhouse in the Park when I was 5.
  • Mom and Dad taking me to see Les Miserables live in New Orleans.
  • Insisting that I go to Murphy High School.
  • A 7th grade trip to EPCOT Center.
  • Choosing the Tigers over the Bulldogs (LSU vs. MSU).
  • A phone call from Jeff Sessions on Easter Sunday 1998.
  • Saying "yes" to Ryan Zempel over the telephone...and then saying "yes" to him to a much more important question later.
  • Mark Batterson pointing out that being a discipleship pastor is a lot like environmental engineering.
With some, I knew life was being created. For most, they seemed ordinary and mundane. What has changed your life?

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger NewJerseyJesus said...

Yeah, watching Les Miserables (1st row, B'way) forever changed my view of God's grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home